Valtoco® Seizure Rescue Medication
What is VALTOCO® (diazepam nasal spray)?
- VALTOCO is a prescription medicine used for the short-term treatment of seizure clusters (also known as ”episodes of frequent seizure activity” or “acute repetitive seizures”) in patients 6 years of age and older.
- VALTOCO is a federally controlled substance (CIV) because it can be abused or lead to dependence. Keep VALTOCO in a safe place to prevent misuse and abuse. Selling or giving away VALTOCO may harm others and is against the law. Tell your healthcare provider if you have abused or been dependent on alcohol, prescription drugs, or street drugs.
- It is not known if VALTOCO is safe and effective in children under 6 years of age.
- VALTOCO is an FDA-approved on-hand seizure rescue medicine for the short-term treatment of episodes of frequent seizure activity.
- VALTOCO is a small and discreet nasal spray created for safe administration by nonmedical care partners,
like family, friends, and coworkers.
Please see Important Safety Information, including Boxed Warning, on page 14, and refer to the enclosed full Prescribing Information and Medication Guide in the brochure pocket.
What dose was prescribed for me?
Because VALTOCO is available in 4 different doses
— 5 mg, 10 mg, 15 mg, and 20 mg
— it’s important to know your dose.
Your healthcare provider will determine which dose is right for you using your age and weight.
FAQs about VALTOCO®
What is in VALTOCO?
VALTOCO contains key ingredients: diazepam and Intravail®. Diazepam, the active ingredient in VALTOCO, has been used for
more than 50 years by healthcare providers and has been safely used by nonmedical care partners for more than 20 years. Intravail® helps VALTOCO absorb into the body.
How does VALTOCO work?
VALTOCO is absorbed through tiny blood vessels inside the nose to carry the treatment to your brain. Intravail® helps diazepam enter the bloodstream and brain. Once diazepam reaches your brain, it is believed to calm the surge of electrical activity that caused the seizures.
Who is VALTOCO for?
VALTOCO is a prescription rescue medication used for short-term treatment of episodes of frequent seizure activity in adults and children 6 years of age and older.
Why was I prescribed VALTOCO?
Your healthcare provider may have discussed the best action for you to take when seizures start and agreed you may benefit from VALTOCO. It’s a generally safe and reliable treatment option that can be used wherever you may be.
How do I, or my care partner, give a 5 mg or 10 mg dose of VALTOCO?
Before using VALTOCO, it is important to read the full Instructions for Use located inside your box and inside your blister packs.
VALTOCO is for use in the nose ONLY. When it’s time, open 1 blister pack and give 1 nasal spray in 1 nostril. The entire contents will spray when you press on the plunger, so do not test nasal sprays before use.
If needed, another dose may be given at least 4 hours after the first dose, using a new pack of VALTOCO. Do not give more than 2 doses of VALTOCO to treat a seizure cluster.